A pin cushion, kept near the needlework activities on a separate tray with a selection of safely pins of different sizes and shape and a nappy pin (a safety pin with an additional guard.
- To close
- Hold the bottom of the safely pin with the left hand as before
- Place the thumb’s pad on the side of the safely pin which does not move and the index finger’s pad 2 centimetres below the point
- Press the index finger down and in, towards the thumb
- To open
- Set up the chowki and bring the tray
- Take a safety pin of choice, from the pin cushion, with the left index finger and thumb, grasping the end of the pin which has a loop
- Turn the left wrist so that the thumb is on top and the pin is horizontal
- Place the right thumb’s pad on the side of the safely pin which does not move and the index finger’s pad just below the locked top of the pin, on the side which is hinged
- Press the index finger in, towards the thumb and upward
- Release the right index finger
Points of Interest:
- Be careful to avoid the point
- Being able to see that one side of the safely pin in closed the other is hinged
- Co-ordination of Movement
- Social Adaptation
Share the ♥️!
Montessori Commons is free, and always will be.
Support us by liking our FB page!
Age at Presentation: