A sewing box with darning needles kept in a box, and a plait of thick thread or wool, (ideally rolled into a ball which is teased out from the centre), small reels of thread, buttons and felt all in different colours, a small pair of scissors, an orange stick and a mat.
NEW CASA EMAIL COURSE
Sign up for our email course that will guide you through the Montessori approach to the Casa.
All proceeds will go towards maintining Montessori Commons and improving the quality of the content.
- Put the box on a chowki, unfold the mat and lay out the items from the box in order of use and naming them.
- Remove one needle from the box and place it in the pin cushion
- Let the child choose a colour of thread, felt and a button, one at a time placing the discarded ones back into the sewing box
- Ask the child to thread the needle and knot the thread
- Place the button in the centre of the thread with holes horizontal
- With the left hand hold the button tightly to the felt
- With the right hand take the needle, pass it through the felt and button hole
- Pass the needle through the other hole and felt
- Repeat for seven or eight stitches
- Show the child that the button is very loose
- Place the felt on the mat and the needle in the pin cushion
- Put the orange stick between the felt and the button and continue to stitch the button
- Bring the needle between the felt and the button, removing the stick
- Hold the felt in the left hand while winding the thread around the loose threads below he button to make a stem
- Put the needle through the felt to the back and knot the loose thread
Points of Interest:
- The button should be loose at first
- Co-ordination of Movement
- Social Adaptation
Age at Presentation:
Three and a half to four years
- Use a button with four holes, making diagonal or parallel stitches
- Also show the use of a crochet hook and wool, how to spin using a cotton ball and teasing it out and a child size loom