A sewing box with darning needles kept in a box, and a plait of thick thread or wool, (ideally rolled into a ball which is teased out from the centre), small reels of thread, buttons and felt all in different colours, a small pair of scissors, an orange stick and a mat.
- Put the box on a chowki, unfold the mat and lay out the items from the box in order of use and naming them.
- Remove one needle from the box and place it in the pin cushion
- Let the child choose a colour of thread, felt and a button, one at a time placing the discarded ones back into the sewing box
- Ask the child to thread the needle and knot the thread
- Place the button in the centre of the thread with holes horizontal
- With the left hand hold the button tightly to the felt
- With the right hand take the needle, pass it through the felt and button hole
- Pass the needle through the other hole and felt
- Repeat for seven or eight stitches
- Show the child that the button is very loose
- Place the felt on the mat and the needle in the pin cushion
- Put the orange stick between the felt and the button and continue to stitch the button
- Bring the needle between the felt and the button, removing the stick
- Hold the felt in the left hand while winding the thread around the loose threads below he button to make a stem
- Put the needle through the felt to the back and knot the loose thread
Share the ♥️!
Montessori Commons is free, and always will be.
Support us by liking our FB page!
Points of Interest:
- The button should be loose at first
- Co-ordination of Movement
- Social Adaptation
Age at Presentation:
Three and a half to four years
- Use a button with four holes, making diagonal or parallel stitches
- Also show the use of a crochet hook and wool, how to spin using a cotton ball and teasing it out and a child size loom